ATTENTION: If you have received a text from “Brown & Moore” alerting you to settlement funds, please be aware that this is a scam and was not sent from our law firm.

No Results, No Attorney Fee
704-335-1500 (Local)
800-948-0577 (Toll Free)

Charlotte State Tort Claims Attorney

If you or your child was injured due to a school bus accident, or you slipped and fell at a government office building, you may be entitled to pursue compensation for the damages you have incurred. Obtain experienced legal help from a personal injury attorney who understands the different rules that apply when state agencies or state employees are liable.

We will help you navigate through the legal system while making sure you have the right forms in place to pursue damages under North Carolina’s Tort Claims Act. Contact our law firm today to meet with a highly skilled personal injury attorney prepared to hold at-fault government agencies accountable.

At Brown Moore & Associates, PLLC, we offer more than 50 years of experience helping accident victims pursue personal injury claims against government agencies, whether it is a municipal, county, or state government agency. We will apply our years of experience and legal skills focused on preserving your best interests. Our legal team understands the rules that apply when seeking action against government agencies.

Seeking Damages Against At-Fault Government Agencies in North Carolina

State and local government agencies provide important public services. When government employees or state agencies put individuals at risk for their negligent actions, legal action can be taken. Our firm’s personal injury attorneys have recovered millions of dollars in compensation for accident victims throughout North Carolina. We have the skills and legal resources to help clients pursue claims against government negligence, such as:

  • School bus accidents
  • Public transportation accidents on light-rail trains or city buses
  • Automotive accidents resulting from dangerous road conditions
  • Motor vehicle accidents involving government-owned vehicles
  • Car accidents involving police vehicles
  • Civil rights violations by law enforcement
  • Slip-and-fall accidents on government property
  • Assault and battery stemming from inadequate security on government premises

Many government negligence claims are heard before North Carolina’s Industrial Commission. Our firm’s personal injury attorneys have extensive experience proving fault before deputy commissioners. We have access to industry-leading experts invaluable in helping us determine liability when the fault is initially unclear. Our legal team knows how to develop convincing arguments showing the negligent actions that occurred within the scope of a state worker’s employment.

Unfortunately, the North Carolina Tort Claims Act does not cover cases where a government employee intentionally caused harm to another person. For example, if a government employee deliberately assaults somebody with a tool and causes a bodily injury, the injury victim is not allowed to file a claim against the agency that that person worked for. However, injury victims will still be able to file a personal injury lawsuit directly against the negligent individual in these cases. Additionally, there may be avenues of recovery against the employing agency under civil rights theories.

Our top priority is to help accident victims in Charlotte, North Carolina, obtain a full financial recovery for their current and long-term needs stemming from a personal injury accident. If you would recover more compensation from a hearing before a sympathetic jury, we will not hesitate to pursue a personal injury claim against the at-fault worker instead of the state agency.

How Long Do You Have To File In North Carolina State Tort Claim?

For most personal injury cases, the statute of limitations in North Carolina is three years from the date an injury occurs. When you file a claim under the North Carolina Tort Claims Act for a personal injury or property damage, claims must be filed within three years from the date of the incident. For wrongful death claims under the NCTCA, the claim must be filed within two years from the date of death.

The statute of limitations in these cases can be complicated to understand. It is crucial that you work with a skilled Charlotte NCTCA attorney who understands the laws surrounding these cases. Failing to file a tort claims case on time will result in the victim being unable to recover the compensation they are entitled to for their losses.

What Type Of Compensation Is Available In A Successful State Tort Claim?

When an individual files a North Carolina Tort Claims Act case, they will typically be entitled to recover the same types of compensation as they would in a traditional personal injury lawsuit. This can include coverage of:

  • All medical bills caused by the incident in question
  • Any lost wages if a victim cannot work while they recover
  • Compensation for permanent injuries or scarring
  • Pain and suffering compensation
  • Loss of enjoyment of life damages
  • Property damage expenses

The total amount of compensation available in an NCTCA case will vary depending on the facts related to each particular situation. A skilled Tort Claims Act attorney in Charlotte will be able to help guide you through this entire process from beginning to end.

Contact Our North Carolina Personal Injury Lawyers

Pursuing claims against negligent government agencies is a unique area within personal injury. Make sure to protect your rights with the help of a highly skilled law firm experienced in pursuing damages under North Carolina’s Tort Claims Act. Put our firm’s experience and legal skills to work for you. Contact our firm’s legal team to schedule a free initial consultation in Charlotte, North Carolina.

Injured and Need Caring Legal Help?Get Your Free Case Evaluation

Recent News

Nov 26, 2023 Brown Moore

On September 25, 2023, a pedestrian was struck and killed by a vehicle in East...Read More

Oct 4, 2023 Brown Moore

The increasing ubiquity of smartphones, in-car entertainment systems, and other electronic devices has led to...Read More

Call Us Locally at
Call Us Locally at 704-335-1500
Call Us Toll-Free
Call Us Toll-Free 800-948-0577

Our Testimonials