Bicycle Shops Are Considered Essential During Coronavirus Outbreak, But Be Safe
The city of Charlotte has been under a shelter in place order since late March in an effort to help slow the coronavirus outbreak in this country. However, people can still leave their homes to go to take care of certain essential activities, including exercising. To that end, the city has listed bicycle repair shops as essential stores that can remain open. However, bicyclists are still at risk of injury even though there is less traffic out. At Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC, our Charlotte bicycle accident attorneys want to discuss some safety tips for bike riders and drivers during this difficult time.
Bicyclists Still Need To Be Careful Right Now
We applaud the fact that bicycle repair shops are considered essential businesses during the ongoing COVID-19 stay at home orders for Mecklenburg County. This recognizes the value of using a bicycle for both exercises and as a regular mode of transportation. To be sure, many people use bicycles to perform essential functions throughout Charlotte right now.
There is certainly less traffic on the roadways in and around Charlotte due to COVID-19. However, this does not mean that bicyclists are not in danger. Due to this lessened traffic, both drivers and cyclists may be letting their guard down.
At Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC, we want to highlight some safety tips for both bicyclists and drivers during this ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
- Continue to adhere to the laws of the roadway, including riding on the right side of the road and following all traffic laws.
- Wear brightly coloured clothing when riding in the evening or at nighttime to ensure maximum visibility to drivers.
- Even though bicycle helmets are not mandatory for riders over the age of 16, all bicyclists should wear a helmet to ensure maximum safety on the roadway.
- Continue to be attentive on the roadways, even though there is less traffic than normal.
- Put away any distractions, including cell phones or other devices that take your eyes off the roadway.
- Continue to pay close attention to all crosswalks and do not assume there are no pedestrians or bicyclists on the roadway.
Stay at home orders can lull drivers and bicyclists alike into a sense of security because of less traffic. In order to keep everybody safe, we must all continue to practice defensive riding and driving.
Let Us Help You Secure The Compensation You Need
If you or somebody you care about has been injured in a bicycle accident that was caused by the negligence of somebody else, contact the team at Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC today. Our skilled and experienced team is ready to get to work investigating your case so we can secure the compensation you need. This can include:
- All medical expenses related to the bike crash
- Lost wages and benefits if you are unable to work
- Pain and suffering damages
- Loss of personal enjoyment damages
- Possible punitive damages against a grossly negligent party
When you need a Charlotte bicycle accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling us at 704-335-1500.