ATTENTION: If you have received a text from “Brown & Moore” alerting you to settlement funds, please be aware that this is a scam and was not sent from our law firm.

No Results, No Attorney Fee
704-335-1500 (Local)
800-948-0577 (Toll Free)

Government-Owned Property Personal Injury

If you or somebody you care about has been injured due to the careless or negligent actions of another person while on government-owned property, you could be entitled to compensation. Most people understand that injury victims can file personal injury lawsuits against the careless or negligent parties who caused them harm. This is also possible when an injury occurs on government property, though the process for filing a civil lawsuit will be a bit different. At Brown Moore & Associates, PLLC, we are here to help when you need a Charlotte personal injury lawyer after sustaining an injury on government-owned property.

Premises Liability Cases On Government Property

Most people would be surprised to discover just how much property is owned by the government. Nearly all public property is the responsibility of the state, county, or city governments. This includes:

  • Sidewalks
  • Public parks
  • Courthouses
  • The DMV
  • Public schools
  • Any government-operated office building, and more

Any type of premises liability case that can occur on private property can also occur on government-owned property. This includes:

  • Slip and fall incidents
  • Negligent security cases
  • Inadequate building maintenance accidents
  • Falling objects, and more

Victims are also regularly injured in vehicle accidents involving government-owned vehicles. This can include public transportation vehicles, emergency vehicles, and any other vehicle owned by a state or local government being used for official business.

Can You File A Claim Against The Government Entity?

Filing an injury claim against some government entities in North Carolina is going to be a different process than ordinary personal injury cases. There are special rules that apply to claims made against the state government or its agencies in NC, including those put forth by the North Carolina Tort Claims Act.

The North Carolina State Tort Claims Act allows the state government to be sued if a government official acted negligently, and this negligence caused harm to another person. The North Carolina Tort Claims Act Applies to different types of cases, including the following:

This law does not cover cases in which a government employee intentionally caused harm to another person. In these cases, it will be necessary for victims to hold the individual accountable through a personal injury lawsuit against that person and not the agency they work for.

Personal injury claims made against the state or local government must be filed within three years from the date the injury occurs. Any wrongful death claims made against government entities must be filed within two years from the date of the deceased’s death.

Contact Us For A Free Consultation Of Your Case

If you or somebody you love has been injured due to the careless or negligent actions of somebody else on government property, contact an attorney as soon as possible. At Brown Moore & Associates, PLLC, we are ready to help you secure any compensation you are entitled to. This could include:

  • Full compensation for any medical bills you incur
  • Lost income if you cannot work while you recover
  • General household out-of-pocket expenses
  • Pain and suffering damages
  • Loss of enjoyment of life damages

When you need a personal injury lawyer in Charlotte to help after sustaining an injury on government-owned property, you can contact us for a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling us at 800-948-0577.

Injured and Need Caring Legal Help?Get Your Free Case Evaluation

Recent News

Nov 26, 2023 Brown Moore

On September 25, 2023, a pedestrian was struck and killed by a vehicle in East...Read More

Oct 4, 2023 Brown Moore

The increasing ubiquity of smartphones, in-car entertainment systems, and other electronic devices has led to...Read More

Call Us Locally at
Call Us Locally at 704-335-1500
Call Us Toll-Free
Call Us Toll-Free 800-948-0577

Our Testimonials