ATTENTION: If you have received a text from “Brown & Moore” alerting you to settlement funds, please be aware that this is a scam and was not sent from our law firm.

No Results, No Attorney Fee
704-335-1500 (Local)
800-948-0577 (Toll Free)

What Type Of Coverage Am I Eligible For After An Auto Accident?

Dec 3, 2019 Brown Moore

Vehicle accidents can be scary, and the aftermath can seem confusing. If you or a loved one have been injured, one of the main questions you need to be answered is – what types of compensation am I entitled to? We have all heard stories of people who are injured due to another driver’s actions yet end up in significant debt. At Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC, our Charlotte car accident lawyers want to help you through this and secure the compensation you need.

What types of coverage are available?

Car accidents are not uncommon in and around the Charlotte area. The latest year of data from the NC Department of Transportation tells us that there were more than 275,000 vehicle crashes in the state. Out of those, there were:

  • 1,396 fatalities
  • 127,964 injuries

You could be entitled to recover the following types of compensation after a Charlotte vehicle accident:

Medical treatment is considered economic damage. This type of compensation is meant to cover a vehicle accident victim’s past, current, and future medical care due to injuries caused by the crash.

Lost income is another type of economic damage. This compensation is meant to help car accident victims recover money for the income and benefits they lose if they are unable to work due to their injuries. It can include current lost income as well as expected future lost income or future earning potential.

Pain and suffering are considered non-economic damage. These damages are not as easily quantifiable and can include the following:

  • long-term physical pain
  • emotional distress
  • loss of enjoyment of life
  • loss of consortium

There are some cases in which the at-fault driver’s actions were grossly negligent or intentional, and the jury may award punitive damages. These damages are meant to be a punishment towards the at-fault driver and to deter them from similar behavior in the future.

In North Carolina, there are no caps in place on how much a person can receive for economic and non-economic damages in the aftermath of a car accident. There is also a cap of $250,000 for punitive damage awards in the state.

There are several methods of obtaining this compensation after an accident. This could include filing a claim with the at-fault driver’s insurance carrier, working through your insurance provider, or through a personal injury lawsuit against the at-fault driver. Your attorney will be able to help you determine the other driver’s liability and choose the best route forward.

Let us help you get through this

Now that you know the types of coverage you may be entitled to, you need to seek legal assistance. At Brown, Moore & Associates, PLLC, we are going to provide you with skilled legal counsel so you are taken care of in the aftermath of a car accident. If another driver’s negligence has caused your injuries, we will investigate your case and work to prove the other party’s liability. When you need a Charlotte car accident attorney, you can contact us for a free consultation by clicking here or calling us at 704-335-1500.