Huntersville, NC Truck Accident Attorney
It is no secret that big trucks rule the road, not just in Huntersville, but elsewhere across the great state of North Carolina and the U.S. in general. And while trucks may be the kings of the road, their drivers are still required to operate them in a safe manner so as to avoid endangering the lives of others on the roadway. When operators of big rigs, tractor-trailers, and other trucks fall short in this regard, they can be held to account for any injuries that result from their actions. If you have been injured in a truck accident, reach out to a seasoned truck accident attorney right away to preserve your right to collect compensation for your injuries.
Prevalence of Truck Accidents
Across the country, truck accidents are abundant in number. In 2019 alone, the most recent year that crash data is available, there were 4,119 reported deaths due to large truck wrecks, according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS). Of those deaths, 67 percent of the deceased were passengers or occupants in involved vehicles, while just 16 percent of deaths were attributed to occupants of the large tractor-trailers involved. Other fatalities are often observed among pedestrians or bicycle riders. When compared to 10 years earlier, fatalities due to big truck accidents are up 31 percent, which is a significant climb. Most deaths were reported in tractor-trailer wrecks, with deaths in single-unit trucks accounting for fewer fatalities.
What Causes Big Truck Accidents?
Thousands of deaths are attributed to big truck accidents each and every year. These accidents are generally caused by:
- Tired drivers: Truckers are notorious for pushing the envelope when it comes to going without sleep. A fatigued driver is impaired in many of the same ways that a drugged driver is impaired, and this translates to mistakes on the roadway that can cost lives.
- Distracted drivers: Drivers who text or talk on their phones put themselves and others at risk because they are not paying full attention to what is going on around them.
- Improperly maintained trucks: Components and parts of a big truck that are not maintained—from brakes to tires and trailers—can lead to catastrophic big truck accidents when they malfunction and cause problems with steerability, maneuverability, and more.
- Inexperienced drivers: Drivers who are not properly trained and/or supervised can make poor decisions that lead to deaths and injuries.
- Improper loads: Trucks can be difficult to control if they are overloaded or improperly loaded. Accidents can and do result.
Injured in a Big Truck Accident? You Are Not Alone
Being hurt in a truck accident, especially when you are left with serious injuries, can make you feel hopeless and alone. This makes it even more important to reach out to an advocate who can help move your truck accident claim along through the courts and help you get the compensation that you deserve in a timely manner. Reach out to a competent and compassionate Huntersville, NC truck accident attorney at Brown Moore & Associates, PLLC to begin the claims process. Contact us to see about a free consultation of your case by clicking here or calling us at 800-948-0577.